Aqua Purified water – the Purified water used in Elave formulations is free from toxins, pollutants and microbes
Protects against UVA & UVB and contains both physical and chemical sunscreens:
- Physical sunscreens prevent UV rays hitting the skin at all, SPF30 contains zinc Oxide a physical sunscreen also known as invisible zinc.
Invisible Zinc - Zinc Oxide – a mineral reflector that creates a physical, reflective barrier on the surface of your skin. Invisible Zinc is a non-chemical sun filter, it provides incredible broad spectrum protection from both UVA & UVB rays. Ideal for sensitive skin formulations it is a key ingredient in many baby creams.
- Chemical Sunscreens allow UV rays to hit the skin, but transform them into non-damaging wavelengths of light or heat. Elave Sensitive sun SPF30 contains the following chemical sunscreens:
Antioxidants are ingredients that block the activity of other chemicals known as Free radicals. UV can interact with natural components of the skin and generate free radical molecules. Free radicals are highly reactive and have the potential to cause damage to cells, including damage that may lead to cancer.
Using various antioxidants in combination is likely to have synergistic benefits and Antioxidant sunscreens help to guard against infrared radiation:
• Vitamin E helps reduce the risk of oxygen free radical damage from the sun’s harmful UV. Also known as a wound healer its small molecules can penetrate deep into the skin and stimulate natural cell growth to rejuvenate the skin from the inside out.
• Vitamin C has sun-protecting properties protecting against and repairing UV damage like discolouration and fine lines. Studies have found that supplementing vitamin C levels topically offers a large number of benefits for the skin including neutralising free radicals, helping to slow down the aging process and the formation of fine lines and wrinkles.
Dicaprylyl Carbonate – fractionated Coconut oil is a fast spreading emollient derived from coconut. A potent antioxidant, coconut oil protects from damage on a cellular level. It also contains Vitamin E, which is essential for keeping skin healthy. It leaves the skin feeling soft and velvety without leaving a residue.
Glycerin occurs naturally in vegetable oils.
• Absorbs moisture from the air to keep the skin well-toned, moisturised and hydrated
• It is a humectant (helps to retain water) and extremely hygroscopic, meaning it readily absorbs water from other sources. In part, Glycerin works because of its ability to attract water from the environment and from the lower layers of the skin (dermis) increasing the amount of water in the surface layers of the skin to keep skin well-toned, moisturised and hydrated.
• Strengthens skin barrier – It increases the thickness of the epidermal layer and improves barrier function. This means that the harmful chemicals stay out of the skin and moisture stays in.
Vitamin B5 Provitamin B5 is a name for Panthenol which may be converted in the body to "Vitamin B5" (a provitamin is a substance that may be converted within the body to a vitamin). Pro-Vitamin B5 acts as a skin moisturiser, helping to keep skin soft, smooth and healthy. It also acts as an anti-inflammatory by stimulating your skin. It is deeply hydrating and it even helps to keep skin moist by absorbing moisture from the air.
Glyceryl Stearate acts as a lubricant on the skin's surface, which gives the skin a soft and smooth appearance. It also slows the loss of water from the skin by forming a barrier on the skin's surface.
Magnesium Aluminum Silicate is a naturally occurring mineral derived from refined and purified clay used primarily as a thickener in cosmetics as it has the ability to retain a large amount of water. It absorbs excess moisture to make the product thicker, giving it a more luxurious feeling.
Benzyl alcohol is a naturally derived ingredient used as a preservative, and as a solvent, to dissolve other ingredients to make a smooth formula. Also added to the product to reduce the odour of emulsifiers as no additional perfume or fragrance has been added.
Phenoxyethanol is a preservative with a low irritancy profile, used in order to avoid irritating even the most sensitive skin. In addition to using the gentlest preservatives; we use the lowest quantity of preservative necessary to preserve the product to further avoid irritating sensitive skin.
Hydrogenated Dimer Dilinoleyl/ Dimethylcarbonate Copolymer is a multifunctional ingredient that provides water resistance to sun care formulations, and is a key ingredient to achieve a unique sensorial profile and an initial moisture boost.
Caprylic/capric triglyceride is an oily liquid made from coconut oil it creates a barrier on the skin's surface, decreasing the amount of moisture lost through the skin, functioning not only to prevent dryness in skin, but also as a skin conditioning agent to soften and smooth the skin.
Pentaerythrityl Distearate is an emulsifying agent that mixes oil and water.
Bisabolol is known to have anti-irritant, anti-inflammatory and anti-microbial properties. Bisabolol functions as skin conditioning agent with anti-inflammatory/healing properties. It softens, soothes and calms the skin to improve the appearance of dehydrated or damaged skin by reducing dry flaking and restoring suppleness to the skin
Disodium EDTA acts as a preservative that prevents cosmetic products from deteriorating.
Sodium Citrate is the sodium salt of citric acid derived from fruits and vegetables. It is used in combination with citric acid to balance the pH of the product.
BHT -Primarily acts as an antioxidant, it helps fight against the deterioration of cosmetic products caused by chemical reactions with oxygen and is also known to work synergistically with other antioxidants.
Citric Acid is a natural extract derived from citrus fruits. It is widely accepted organic acid used as a pH controlling and increases the circulation of the skin. It also has antioxidant properties.
Xanthan Gum is a natural source thickener derived from glucose or sucrose with skin hydrating properties.